What foods should I avoid with temporary veneers?
Temporary veneers aren’t as resistant as permanent veneers and will require a little more care while in place. They are not stain resistant or durable under too much stress, so steer clear of:
- Hard foods like lollies, ice and toffee
- Crunchy foods such as apples, nuts and chips
- Sticky foods like caramel or chewing gum
- Any chewy meats (i.e. steak)
- Teeth staining drinks like red wine, coffee, tea or coloured soft drinks
- Crusty breads or toast
- Dark foods like curry, tomato sauce, pasta sauce and staining berries
What are the best foods to eat with temporary veneers?
To be safe, eat everything with a knife and fork. Avoid any extra force on the front teeth and stick to soft, light coloured foods like:
- Mashed potato
- Pasta (no tomato based sauces)
- Small pieces of tender chicken
- White fish
Are there any foods to avoid with permanent veneers?
To keep your permanent veneers looking the best they can, it is suggested that you limit (or cut out) the following:
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Biting in to hard foods (raw carrots, hard lollies, ice etc) with your front teeth. Use your back
- Drinking alcohol and using alcohol based mouth washes. They can weaken the porcelain’s
- Eating acidic foods like lemons and tomatoes. If you do, brush your teeth straight after
- Consuming dark liquids. If you do have a tea, coffee, red wine or coloured soft drink, rinse
your mouth straight after.
How to care for my porcelain veneers:
Porcelain veneers are very durable, but it is important to remember that they are not real teeth and will therefore require a little more care. Just like real teeth, a good brushing and flossing routine is necessary to look after your veneers. Not only will it prevent decay of your teeth underneath the veneers, but it will help prevent gum disease.
It is recommended that excessive force across veneers is avoided too – so no nail biting, ice eating or trying to bite into a raw carrot.
Published on June 17th 2019, last reviewed on October 6th 2020