The use of mercury in the dental industry has been around for years. While many dentists oppose its use in dental fillings, cost considerations have meant that it continues to be a popular option. In the past, the options were limited and the choice was usually between gold and mercury. Today, there are many great alternatives and people do not have to use mercury. However, many dentists are still using mercury and the argument is that the level of toxicity is too small to be significant.
Mercury is very toxic
Research has shown that mercury can create electrical currents in the patient’s mouth. The truth is that mercury is toxic and it is surprising that many dentists continue to use mercury fillings. Mercury poisons cells, causing them to die. This means that while it might not cause cancer, the mercury is still dangerous for the body. Amalgam fillings contain five metals, namely mercury, tin, zinc, copper and silver. The metals are toxins and while the body does need minerals, these are not the right kind as they are inorganic. When used in dental fillings, the dangerous minerals are released into the body.
Mercury in the system
The mouth offers a conducive atmosphere for the toxins to thrive. The saliva creates a wet and humid environment and metals from the fillings are released during chewing. The patient inhales the fumes, which go through the olfactory to the cranial nerve and eventually into the brain. Mercury loves the nerve tissue and it enters the lungs and into the blood stream. Mercury is active, it does not remain in the blood stream, and it does not come out through the urine. The body is not able to get rid of the mercury and it therefore stores it in different parts and it is impossible to detoxify.
Using composite fillings
For those looking for alternatives, composite fillings are a better option. The composites are white plastic fillings and they are better than amalgams. These types of fillings have been around for about 25 years and they are usually used on the front teeth. The composites can also be used in the molars or back teeth, especially now that there are much harder composites. Plastic is a versatile material that can be shaped to work with any tooth. This means that the damaged tooth does not have to be destroyed as happens when using amalgam.
Metals used in dental work
If you have extensive dental work, chances are that you have several metals in your mouth. Apart from the metals present in amalgam, some patients have bridges, crowns, partials, implants or root canals and this can mean more than four different metals in the mouth. Mercury is the most toxic metal, followed nickel and then chromium and cobalt and these are used when making partials. Crowns and inlays are manufactured from porcelain, which contains aluminum oxide. Root canals are toxic and damaging procedures and in some cases, the substance used for filling the root canal contains lead. Dental implants contain the metal titanium and while it is the most compatible metal, it is still harmful.
It is important to choose the right dentist when you need mercury free dental work. This is the best way to ensure that you do not end up with a mouth full of harmful elements.
If you have any further questions or queries, don't hesitate to contact us.